Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Mr. Squirrel...A.K.A. "Road Kill"


Monday morning on my way to work, I was minding my own business, listening to Kari Jobe's CD and enjoying the beautiful drive. As I was singing and doing a little worshiping, I noticed a squirrel sitting in the road ahead of me. As the daughter of an avid hunter of all sorts, I have been taught to enjoy nature and the beauty of the animals within. So, I was admiring Mr. Squirrel as I drove closer and closer. Mr. Squirrel was not just any squirrel...he was "plump", a beautiful dark brown color with a long, flowing, bushy tail. He was sitting in the middle of the road just enjoying his breakfast snack of acorns. The closer my Jeep came to the squirrel the longer he seemed to stare my way. As if to say, "You are ruining my peaceful breakfast!" Just as a was passing the squirrel I heard and felt a "PLUMP". "OH NO! Did I just run over the little guy?" I thought to myself. I frantically looked in my rear view mirror and there he was..."I killed him!" I have to admit that I have been a little emotional lately (noted by my husband) and I did shed a tear or two at the thought that I killed a helpless squirrel who thought it was going to be just another ordinary day. For the rest of my drive I could not figure out why the little guy never moved. The truth is, I didn't try to avoid him because I just knew he would run scared, as squirrels usually do. The only conclusion that I could come up with is........THOSE ACORNS MUST'VE BEEN REALLY GOOD!!! Unfortunately, I have passed by Mr. Squirrel (R.I.P.) everyday since Monday...I sure wish some hungry fox or coyote would come by and scoop him up.

As I am writing this post, I am reminded that life is a fragile thing. Although death is often viewed as something terrible and sad, for Christians, it should be a celebration. In the Bible it says "to be absent from the body, is to be present with the Lord." The truth is that no one wants to see our loved ones pass away, but we can take comfort in knowing their eternal destination and the promise that we will see them again someday.

If you are reading this and have not asked Jesus into your life, please don't wait until it is too late. Don't leave your loved ones with the uncertainty of your eternal destination. Jesus loves you and no matter where you are or what you have done...He will forgive you...if you would only ask.

P.S. The picture of the squirrel above is not Mr. Squirrel. This picture was taken a few months ago...probably a cousin.
Warmest,

No comments: